Though it’s impossible to do justice to all of the wonderful possibilities, here’s a start list of ten more local Mother’s Day ideas in the 19144, 19118, and 19119 zip codes:
1. Browse Antique Row in Germantown for a rare find. The 5200-5300 blocks of Germantown Avenue have several antique shops with goodies you won’t see in Pottery Barn.
2. Fresh Flowers! London Flower Shop at 14 E. Armat St., also in Germantown, should have blooms to brighten anyone’s day.
3. Crafty Mama? Gaffney’s Fabrics in the 5400 block of Germantown has a wide range of fabrics with fabulously low prices.
4. Have a bookworm for a Mom? Why not treat her to a novel from the Big Blue Marble Bookstore? Knowledgeable staff can help you find just the right book, or gift certificates to allow her to do the browsing. Just off the Avenue at 551 Carpenter Lane in Mt. Airy.
5. If she missed making the cut for Oprah’s Mom makeover show, no worries! Gift certificates from Culture or Divinity Hair Salons in Mt. Airy will give her a fresh look. The two wonderful salons are right around the corner from each other at 7201 Germantown Ave.
6. With the gorgeous weather, how about winding down with a nice cold brew at Earth, Bread, and Brewery at 7136 Germantown Ave. in Mt Airy? The restaurant has hand-crafted beer, earth-baked flatbreads and a wonderful local feel.
7. Bike Enthusiast? Wissahickon Cyclery at 7838 Germantown in Chestnut Hill has bikes and gear for novices through experts hoping to navigate the hills and valleys of the area.
8. This requires some planning, but what about a gorgeous and delicious custom cake from Bredenbeck’s or The Night Kitchen bakeries in Chestnut Hill? Both bakeries have very creative artists who can whip up a delicious cake to match any Mom’s personality.
9. Looking for artsy jewelry, bags, or clothing? Mango, now located at 8442 Germantown in Chestnut Hill, is sure to have something to catch her eye.
10. Does Mom need a day at the spa? Diamond Spa in Chestnut Hill at 8430 Germantown offers massages, manicures, pedicures, facials and more for the mom who wants to be truly pampered.
This is just a drop in the bucket of possibilities for shopping locally this Mother’s Day… for more ideas, just take a drive along the Avenue. But whatever you decide, enjoy the day!