JUNE 23, 2016 By Gabrielle Kaplan-Mayer
You’ve made it! You’ve cleared your calendar and the sitter’s arrived.
For most parents, getting out of the house together is no small accomplishment. You want to enjoy your time together and not stress about the money you’re spending for the sitter—and dinner, movie tickets, etc. Date nights become expensive quickly and that financial reality can keep some of us from scheduling much-needed time away from the kids to reconnect with our partners.
Fortunately, Philadelphia offers great ways to enjoy time out together that won’t break your bank. Summer is an especially time for fun, cheap dates, including:
- Use your family memberships, without the kids: Imagine going to the zoo without packing snacks or pushing a stroller. Using the family memberships you’ve already paid without the kids can be really fun! Strolling in the Morris Arboretum without the little ones is definitely romantic.
- Pack a picnic, take in some music: There are great outdoor summer concerts all over Philly and the suburbs—and most of them are free. Check out the line-up at Pastorius Park, the Curtis Arboretum and other parks near you!
- Free at the Kimmel Center: Did you know there are free concerts throughout the summer? Check out the schedule and find something you’ll both enjoy.
- Go hiking: With the longer days, you can head out for an early evening hike in the Wissahickon. The Cynwyd rail linking Bala Cynwyd to Manayunk is another great scenic spot with an amazing view of the city—perfect for sunset.
- Happy happy hours: If you want to eat and drink, schedule your sitter for early and take advantage of Philly’s great bar and restaurant scene. Here’s a list of great city spots and a list of places to try in the burbs.
- Outdoor movies: Another family activity that can also be a perfect adult activity. Catc This is Spinal Tap on the Schuylkill Banks, Creed at Penn’s Landingor Rocky on the Art Museum steps.
- Have a laugh: Philly is full of improve troupes and you can find free or very cheap shows. Check out the Philly Improv Theater students performing for their instructors at no charge. Bright Invention, an improve troupe at White Pines Productions in Elkins Park, features open Monday night rehearsals with audience interaction.
- Spruce Street Harbor Park: Because what’s better than getting a cold drink and holding hands lying in a hammock on a beautiful night with a view of the river? Try a Monday or Tuesday night for a lighter crowd.
- XPN free at noon: Worth taking an afternoon off work and meeting here—great shows every Friday at World Café Live. Check the web site first as reservations may be needed.
- First Free Sundays at the Barnes: Get to the Barnes early to take advantage of this great free date. Enjoy the art together and then take a stroll through Fairmount or along Kelly drive. Pure romance!
Enjoy your dates and post your best cheap summer date ideas in the comments below!